Faced with the multitude of ski resorts in France, it can be difficult to navigate and choose the most suitable for your children. And of course, we want the best for our children when spending a week in the mountain. To guide you better, the French tourist authorities have created labels to set apart the most child-friendly ski resorts in the French Alps. For example, “Famille Plus Montagne”, is a real guarantee of quality and the most popular label in France.
Nowadays, French ski resorts make a real effort and are committed to ensuring families a welcome stay with their children. With the new trend for ski resorts to add new activities all the time (ski resorts are not just for skiing anymore!), the child-friendly offer is almost endless and will improve year after year. After all the children of today are tomorrow’s future users of ski resorts.
10 things to check before choosing your next child-friendly ski destination
Before you make a hasty decision on where to spend that week with your children, you can check these following points to see if the ski resort of your choice offers the following amenities and services:
- A real snow garden (and not just a battered conveyor belt with two hoops and a figurine).
- An area including bottle warming and sterilising facilities
- One or more fun areas within the ski area (mini boardercross, timed racecourse, mini KL track …).
- An easy pedestrian path (avoid the escalators to walk 6 times a day with your skis on the shoulder …). A good idea is also when you can leave your children’s skis in lockers by the lifts.
- A car-free resort is a must!
- After-ski activities for the youngest (at the end of the afternoon, on the snow front or indoors).
- A childcare facility to allow you to breathe a little during half a day during your stay.
- Child ski passes that fit your needs (in terms of age and ski level of your child).
- Different leisure facilities (swimming pool, ice rink …)
- Activities to make the best mountain memories (snake gliss, snow tubing, electric snowmobiles …). A super popular one is trying their hand at sledging!
- The on-site presence of a medical centre and a chemist in the ski resort.